Once your Donor Advised Fund is established, you are ready to begin making charitable grants. The process for recommending grants is simple:
1. Obtain a Grant Recommendation Form in one of the following ways:
- complete the grant recommendation form via our online portal - DonorCentral
- use the paper forms supplied at the time we acknowledged your initial contribution.
- download grant recommendation forms from our web site.
- contact AEF and we will mail or fax them to you.
AEF considers recommendations for grants to any organization it believes to be classified as a public charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Consistent with IRS regulations that apply to all donor advised funds, AEF cannot approve recommendations for grants:
- to individuals.
- to private foundations.
- that satisfy a pre-existing charitable pledge.
- for any private benefit (e.g. school tuition sent to individuals, dues or membership fees, benefit tickets, the donor’s time or services, or goods bought at charitable auction).
- for political contributions or to support campaign activities.
AEF reviews each grant recommendation to ensure that it complies with IRS requirements. If there is a problem with a recommendation, we will contact you immediately. Upon approving a recommendation, we will arrange to liquidate appropriate Fund investments for the amount needed. We then prepare a check and send it to the charitable organization. The transmittal letter that accompanies the check to the charitable organization is prepared on your fund’s letterhead. You receive a copy of the letter that accompanies the check. The charitable organization also sends you an acknowledgement of the receipt your grant.
We process grants on an ongoing basis. Normally, AEF distributes checks within a few days of receipt of your grant recommendation.
You may want to support a charity without disclosing your identity to the organization. You can choose to do this on all your grants or selectively by individual grant.
Please call us at 1-888-440-4233 or use our contact form if you have questions.