Why Trusted Advisors Choose AEF - Donor Advised Funds at American Endowment Foundation
Why Trusted Advisors Choose AEF
For over 25 years, American Endowment Foundation (AEF) has worked very closely with wealth, tax, and legal advisors. AEF is unique as it encourages and allows advisors to remain in control of asset management for their clients' donor advised funds, regardless if the account size is $25,000 or $25,000,000. We currently serve donors and their advisors in all 50 states. We have Development staff situated across the country who are able to visit advisory teams and educate them on donor advised funds and the AEF difference. We are Boutique with ScaleTM, providing a high level of customization and service to advisory firms and their teams while being able to achieve the efficiencies & prowess found in organizations much larger than our own.
The many reasons that AEF is the donor advised fund choice of advisors:
- Advisors can manage the assets on their preferred platforms at any amount. Some other plans only allow administration to occur at certain levels, such as accounts above $250,000 or $1,000,000.
- Advisors can select the investments as they wish and do not have to choose from a very limited number of pooled funds that they normally would not select. They are able to provide their clients with the consistent investment advice they expect.
- AEF is very flexible in accepting and holding a wide variety of assets, from cash and publicly traded securities to complex assets including privately-held C-corp and S-corp stock, real estate, life insurance, interests in LLCs and LPs, etc.
- Clients can make grants during their lifetime or over successive generations.
- AEF is the leading independent donor advised fund in the country and is not a charitable branch of a financial company.
- AEF is a preferred DAF of Pershing, TDA, LPL, and other custodians as well as hundreds of wealth management firms and banks.
- AEF does not require lengthy contracts or charge annual fees. Its fees are substantially less than many other donor advised funds.
- Because 95% of new DAF accounts at AEF are referred by advisors, AEF provides a Thought Leadership library with useful content and training to help advisors in their work with clients. Insights concerning tax savings, estate planning, charitable planning discussions, advice for donors, and numerous other topics are available. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.
- AEF has the experience in tailoring the use of donor advised funds to enhance other charitable strategies.
- Though AEF has grown significantly over the past few years to over 9000 donor advised fund accounts with over $5 billion in assets, AEF does not use a call center. Advisors and their clients still work directly with designated individuals at AEF. Our commitment to concierge service remains unchanged.
- AEF offers a philanthropic advisory firm referral service for those donors who may need more help in determining their charitable giving strategy.
Learn how an
AEF Donor Advised Fund
can be a powerful tool for your
clients and your practice.
Schedule an appointment
with our staff to learn
Download our New DAF Procedure to begin the process of opening a donor advised fund. Have an existing DAF? It is easy to transfer to AEF.
Learn more about the specific advantages that an AEF Donor Advised Fund offers when compared to other offerings:
AEF Advantages over Commercial Donor Advised Funds
AEF Advantages over Community Foundations and Single Issue Charities
AEF Advantages over Privately-Branded Donor Advised Funds
Watch our video:
" How Financial Advisors Use a Donor Advised Fund at AEF"
Download our 1-page summary to share with colleagues:
Summary for Advisors
Download our 1-page summary to share with clients:
Summary for Donors
Top 12 Questions: When to Consider an AEF Donor Advised Fund:
Top 12 Questions
Comparison: Private Foundations vs. AEF DAF:
Comparison: Private Foundations vs. AEF DAF
Noncash Assets Calculator:
Noncash Assets Calculator
We are a full-service donor advised fund company and provide concierge-level services. Please note: AEF does not offer investment management services, nor sell investment products. Donors can recommend that their trusted advisors manage the investment of their Donor Advised Fund assets. This is unique from most other donor advised fund programs, which typically require DAF assets to be held in a limited menu of pooled investments, proprietary mutual funds, and managed by the institution. AEF does not cross-sell other products. Our sole focus is donor advised fund administration.
Another donor advised program I saw required that contributed assets be immediately sold . Does AEF have such a requirement?
The donor’s input is also important. Additionally, as the legal owner and fiduciary, AEF will have recommendations based on our experience as a fiduciary and our understanding of the donor’s intent. Relevant factors include the fund’s time horizon, liquidity concerns, grant making considerations, and legal constraints. The investment policy statement is a collective statement, agreed on by all parties, as to how the investment manager will select investments.
Call us at 1-888-402-9179 or use our scheduling form to learn more.